Steps to Take if Your Nanny is Changing Her Name

Jul 15, 2022 | Employing a Nanny, Payroll, Taxes & Labor Laws

If your nanny or other household employee gets married, changes her name, and asks you to start issuing paychecks in their married name, what are your record-keeping responsibilities?

When an employee officially changes their name for marriage or any reason, the employee needs to:

  1. Present you with a new signed Social Security card, issued in the correct name. Make a copy of this for your payroll records.
  2. Fill out a new W-4 Form, reflecting the change in name, marital status and withholding allowances.

It is the employee’s responsibility to provide this information before a paycheck can be issued in their new name. This ensures that taxes are properly credited to the employee’s account, and that quarterly and year-end reports match the records of the Social Security Administration and the IRS.

A newly married employee may also want to make beneficiary changes on a life insurance plan and may need to fill out an enrollment change form to add the spouse to a health insurance plan. You can also remind them to notify the following organizations of a name change:

  • DMV
  • Post Office
  • Voter Registration
  • Banks
  • Credit Cards
  • Doctors

For more information, contact us at (518) 348-0400.

Recent Posts

Blog Categories